Saturday, February 16, 2013

Mortality and Punctuation


European monks and scohlars used to keep a human skull on their desks to remind themselves of their mortality throughout their day.

Too often we separate our thoughts from our mortality, either because we fear it or because we’re too busy distracting ourselves to think about it.
Sometimes I like to think about my future tombstone, and the little dash that will indicate when I was born and when I’ll die.  Will that dash represent a life lived, or a life wasted?

Peace Corps was an opportunity to remove myself from all that is familiar and comfortable and embark on a crazy adventure. Now that I’m here, what can I do to make my service more meaningful?

There are 525,600 minutes in a year.  Do I make each one of those minutes count? What life-purpose informs how I decide to live each one of those minutes?

If I were to punctuate my life, I’d like it to be with an exclamation point.

I’m sick of living inside of a question mark or an ellipsis and allowing fear to stop me from living and loving the right way.

I’m challenged to punctuate my life in a way that leaves no reserves, no retreats, and no regrets.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weekly Grape:  How do I punctuate my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment