Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Man and His Lemon Tree

Our Peace Corps Security Officer is a large, strapping, gentle Armenian man who simultaneously comforts and intimidates but whom everyone loves.  Vahagn is the volunteer “daddy” who we look to for guidance, protection, and stability.  

The man has won awards for his safety and security practices in Armenia because he not only fiercely defends his volunteers from harm but also shows genuine concern for the welfare of those whom he protects.   
You would not, however, want to be on this guy’s bad side.  He’s enormous, and I’m betting he could tactfully disarm a perpetrator without even trying.  
All that said, he does have one definite soft spot: his little lemmon tree.
One day I was sitting outside on the Peace Corps office patio, when Vahagn made his daily trip outside to monitor the growth of his tiny little tree.  He sauntered outside and we engaged in conversation as he sheapishly approached his  germinating friend.  
“What’s that, Vahagn?” I asked, wondering what could possibly evoke such admiration from a man of his stature and girth.  
“Dis ees my lemon,” he said, matter-of-factly.  “Eet ees finally getting big.”
And so we continued to discuss the growth of this single lemon, which apparently Vahagn had been checking on every day for a year.  He nurtures it and loves it with little regard for the fact that there is only one lemon on that silly little tree.  He delights in his citrus child, and it slowly but surely bares the fruit of his nurture and care.
Vahagn and the lemon reflect a shift in my focus as a result of this weekend's Peace Corps Conference. 
I love going to Peace Corps conferences because they often reinstill passion in and redirect the purpose purpose of a group of idealistic Americans who have come to this foreign place to better themselves and to better others but who have often stumbled over the lumps and bumps of the rough ground of reality in real-time Armenia.  
During our conference this weekend, I was reminded of the importance of relationships in our service.  
One memory in particular stands out.  Richard Byess, a USAID employee in Armenia whom I deeply respect and admire, dazzled the volunteers with words he barely had to think about but which moved me to my core:
“The only real struggle you’ll endure throughout Peace Corps is the internal struggle to stay commited to what you love no matter what happens.”
Amen.  
I had often allowed obstacles to distract me from my dedication to create meaningful cross-cultural relationships throughout my first year of service.  I wanted my tree to sprout thousands of little lemons and look really impressive but failed to nurture the single seed that mattered the most.  This year has already been so much more enriching for me because my service goals have become, once again, entirely relational.  
Lemon trees require an ample amount of light, warmth, and affection in order to thrive.  They also require plenty of time to grow properly.  In fact, a lemon tree can take up to several years to grow its fruit under certain conditions.  
This is what a relationship needs, and this is what volunteers are here to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment