Saturday, January 26, 2013

More Than Who They Say I Am

An alien beams down from planet Zanzabar and asks you who you are. 

What do you say?

If we’re honest with ourselves, most of us would define ourselves the way that other people define us:  I’m a member of the human race. I’m an American, I’m a teacher, I’m a girl, I’m the oldest child, I’m ridiculously gorgeous, etc.  

Sheila Walsh, a Christian singer and writer, says that when she was asked the same question by her phsyciatrist she listed off several different socially-constructed answers until finally she broke down and said she really had no clue who she was.  

Physciatrist: “That’s right, and that’s exactly why you’re here.”

There isn’t necessarily anything wrong with knowing ourselves the way that society knows us, as long as that’s not all we know.  We should achieve an understanding ourselves apart from social constructs, one that transcends the patterns of this world. 

Our conception of ourselves shapes our conception of life and informs everything that we do.  I think it's true that we can never know another without first knowing ourselves.  By the same logic, I agree with Meister Eckart that “no one can know God who does not first know himself.” 

An experience like Peace Corps provides a great opportunity for self-discovery because we learn the ways that we react to really tough situations.  Its an important time to reflect, experiment, and come to understand ourselves more fully.  

This week I press through the discomfort of being honest with myself, really analyzing the source of all my emotions, and gaining a truer sense of who I am.  I'm going to ask my students who they think they are, and challenge them to think critically about this question as well.

Weekly grape:  Who am I?

2 comments:

  1. The interesting thing about we humans is that we will never truly "know" who we are because it changes from year to year, decade to decade. I know in the 28 years I have know my husband, we have both definitely developed into very different individuals than when we met. Reading through old journals is evidence of that. So to be ever on the quest of knowing who we are is what propels us through life. I think we won't truly know our absolute self until we look into the face of God and then this part of the journey will be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guru, I completely agree. I didn't mean to suggest an absolute – I also believe that the perpetual quest for identity is what propels us through life. But, even though we'll never fully know ourselves, I think in order to come to better know others or to have a good relationship with God we really have to work (or trust Him to show us) to figure out (to the extent that we can) who He's created us to be. Understanding our flaws, our gifts, and our longings can help us to better know Christ.

    ReplyDelete